FUMC Escondido Scholarship
Criteria, Guidelines, and Rules 2023-2024
The Escondido United Methodist Foundation looks forward to helping with your scholarship and vocational goals. Your continued focus on achieving your personal goals in living a Christian life to its fullest is highly encouraged. Please provide all the requested information below. We do plan to have interviews, Dates (TBD) The Foundation Scholarship Review Committee will review your completed application and determine the scholarship awards.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate, hold an equivalent certificate, or on schedule to graduate at the end of the current school year.
- Applicant must re-apply each year.
- We are particularly interested in your clearly explained educational aspirations, as well as your spiritual focus and goals. Participation in the life of our church, the First United Methodist Church of Escondido, previously or when in town, is a major requirement.
- We will be looking for essays that demonstrate thoughtfulness, attention to detail (spelling, punctuation, etc.), and thoroughness, while avoiding repetition. Proofreading is highly recommended.
- To maintain confidentiality, the applicant’s information will be distributed solely to the Foundation Committee members and those involved in the auditing of the Foundation’s finances who have a responsibility and/or duty in may be published at a later date in church publications.
Submit completed applications to
Please download application before starting to filling it in, changes made on a URL webpage do not get saved.
If you have questions, please contact Diane Matsuoka through text or call @ 760-715-3898
Education Categories Scholarships Awards may be up to:
The Escondido United Methodist Foundation
On January 10, 1976, the Escondido United Methodist Foundation was created to support the mission of the First United Methodist Church of Escondido beyond those activities normally funded by the Church annual budget. Foundation endowment fund principal is invested for long-term growth, and 4% annually is used to fund scholarships and grants. Church members are elected to serve on the Board of Directors for three-year terms. For questions and more information, please contact Anne Gray; President, or any current Foundation Board Member.
The primary focus of the Foundation is on education: to award scholarships to active Church members and participants and to support United Methodist Theological Seminaries for the future leadership of the Church. Each year, 10-15 scholarships are awarded to students in vocational programs, community colleges, universities, and graduate schools. In addition, annual support is provided to the Claremont School of Theology. Since its inception, the Foundation has awarded scholarships to over 18+ clergy serving in the United Methodist Church, including several of our current Pastors.
In addition, the Foundation provides grants for special projects at the Church, the local community and across the globe. In recent years, the Foundation helped purchase a new Piano, renovate the Church kitchen, repair the roof, feed hungry neighbors through Interfaith Community Services, provide school supplies for Central School students, send relief supplies to volcano victims in Tonga, help fund a Christian school in Nicaragua, support the worldwide United Methodist Committee on Relief, and many other missions of our Church.
If you, or someone you know, seeks to further their education, or feels called to serve in the ministry of the Church, encourage them to apply for a scholarship during the application period in March-April. If education is important to you and you want to ‘give a gift that keeps on giving,’ select Foundation in the online giving page, or write Foundation on your giving envelope.
Thank you so much for your support!
@ First UMC Escondido
The Escondido United Methodist Foundation Board Members have prepared this video to help you to understand the multiple ways in which we reach out in support of the various groups and individuals. We have a rich history of awarding scholarships and grants to help individuals in a variety of post-secondary education and multiple non-degree programs. You will hear, from several individuals, how each person has benefited from the support of the Foundation. As you listen to each person share their gratitude, please remember that we could not have given them the scholarship or grant without your support. Enjoy!